This Mediterranean inspired salad is so versatile, it goes great with quinoa, couscous or barley but consistently delivering a soul warming feeling. Yesterday it was time to have some delicious barley, I like using different grains and cereals so we don’t get bored and stuck in the same flavours and textures.
Also, my 13 month old son really enjoys discovering new flavours and keeping this going is definitely a source of inspiration and drive to find new yummy things to try out together.
Mediterranean inspired barley slad
- 2 x 50g boil in bag pearl barley*, cooked per instructions
- 1 Squash, cubed
- 1 Aubergine, cubed
- 1 Red pepper, small strips
- 1 Yellow Pepper, small strips**
- 1 Red onion, julienned
- 10 Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Cucumber, cubed
- 20gr Feta cheese, chunks
- 2 tbs sundried tomatoes
- Handful of pinenuts
- Handful of mint, chopped
- Handful of kalamata olives
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- 1. Heat some oil in a pan, once it's hot add squash, peppers, onion and aubergine season lightly and sauté until soft.
- 2. Add cooked barley and hot vegetables together mixing throughly, let it rest about 10 minutes seasoning with some salt flakes, pepper and a drizzle of oil.
- 3. In a pan at medium heat quickly stir the pinenuts just enough to get a little bit of colour, aroma and natural oils out.
- 4. Add cucumber and tomatoes and mix, then top with feta, olives, sundried tomatoes, ming and pinenuts.
- 5. Dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- * In Norway I use Møllerens boil-in-bag Bygg Ris, using chicken broth for boiling the barley.
- ** Play this different sizes and shapes to make the salad more interesting
- Note: Serve with some aubergines chips or pita bread and hummus.
Purpledalia @ home https://www.purpledalia.net/