Arroz con Pollo is such a Colombian classic that even fast food chain sell it! Every lunch place you can find has a version of it and every single Colombian household has this as a GOTO meal. For 3 simple reasons:
- It’s the original One Pot meal!
- As simple as it gets!
- And gives you veggies and chicken and rice all in one spoonful making it ideal for kids.
- Bonus reason: Serve it with Patacones, fries or french fries and you have yourselves a winner meal!
For me this dish delivers the homey Colombian feeling and satisfies my Colombian food cravings all in One Pot! It doesn’t get any better than that.
Arroz con Pollo
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 1 cup Rice, rinsed
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 large Carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 green Bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup Peas, frozen
- 1/2 cup Green beans, frozen
- Olive oil
- 1. Season the chicken breast to taste
- 2. In a big heavy bottom pot that has a good seal lid, heat some olive oil and brown the chicken breast about 5 minutes on each side. Set it aside to cool down slightly.
- 3. Use a dash of olive oil and lightly sweat onion, carrots and pepper. Cook until soft.
- 4. Add the rinsed rice and mix well over medium heat.
- 5. Dissolve the tomato paste in the water and add it to the rice along with 1tsp of salt. Taste the water and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- 6. Increase the heat to high and bring the water to a boil and leave until the water has completely evaporated.
- 7. Lower heat to minimum, add peas and green beans and cover the pot with it's lid. Leave the pot undisturbed for 15-20 minutes while the rest of the water evaporates and the rice finished cooking.
- 8. Meanwhile shred the chicken into bitesize peaces.
- 9. Add the chicken to the rice and mix well with a fork. Leave to continue cooking for 5 more minutes. And serve!
- To add the final Colombian touch serve the Arroz con Pollo decorated with ketchup and a side of Patacones.
Purpledalia @ home https://www.purpledalia.net/