This coconut and chicken noodle soup may not be a looker, but the flavours and aromas it delivers is just out of this world! Packed with ginger, garlic, chili and lime this Thai inspired soup will leave you wanting for more. It’s quick and easy, the perfect fresh summer meal!
I saw this recipe made with prawns on a Nigel Slater cooking show a couple of weeks ago and have been waiting to make it ever since. It was definitely worth the wait.
- 500ml low sodium chicken stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- 4 large chicken breasts, cut into bite sizes
- 150gr glass noodles, cooked per package instructions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1 red chili
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, skin ( replacement for lemon leaves) and juice
- Handful of coriander
- Neutral vegetable oil
- 1. Add ginger, garlic and chilli to a food processor and blend until the mix becomes a paste, or use a pestle and morter for the ginger and garlic and finely chop the chili.
- 2. In a heavy bottom pot (I use my handy Le Cruiset) heat some vegetable oil and add the ginger paste and lemon skins* or leaves. stirring until it starts to become golden and aromatic.
- 3. Add the chicken stock and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- 4. Add the chicken and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked through**
- 5. Once the chicken is about done add the tomatoes and lemon juice and let it cook for 3-5 minutes more.
- 6. Season to taste and add coriander.
- 7. In bowls serve the noodles and pour over the soup garnishing with some coriander.
- * Using a potato peeler, peel off about half a lemon.
- ** At this step I decided I wanted a slightly thicker soup so I added about 1tsp of Maizena.