This spinach, bacon and shiitake mushrooms quiche recipe is originally my mother in-law’s recipe and it’s perfect if you want to have left overs, the flavours get better over night!
I am a huge fan of quiche and have made tuna quiche many times, however I had never eaten bacon and mushrooms quiche. In this recipe there is so much flavour coming from the bacon which in turn helps enhance the delicate mushroom taste. My twist on the original recipe came because I’m always trying to find ways to incorporate spinach into our diet to increase our iron intake. This quiche gives a perfect opportunity to do just that.
- 150 gr butter
- 200 gr flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml whole milk
- 250 gr grated cheese
- 150 gr Bacon, diced
- 100 gr Mushrooms, diced (preferably Shiitake)
- 100 gr Spinach, chopped (can be frozen)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Nutmeg, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 200 C.
- 2. Mix flour, pinch of salt and butter in a bowl and press into the pie form. Allow it to rest for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- 3. Bake for 15 minutes at 200 C.
- 1. Cook the bacon at medium heat until the fat is rendered and starting to golden.
- 2. Cook the mushrooms in butter with a pinch of salt at high heat for 1-2 minutes first, then lower the temperature to medium heat and stir occasionally until all the moisture has evaporated. (About 10 min total
- 3. Beat the eggs and milk together in a bowl and stir in the cheese, bacon and mushrooms.
- 4. Tip the filling into the tart and bake for 45 minutes at 175 C.
- Serve with a dollop of Crème fraîche and a simple everyday salad.