Grilled corn on the cob with cheese and mayonaise is, in my opinion, the absolute best way to eat corn. The flavours get amplied to the nth degree. You really should give this a try!
Ok, so back home we have corn grilling stands in every other corner. You can actually see the stand from the entrance of my parents apartment complex, were I grew up. And every time I go to Bogotá the first thing I do is have a burger at El Corral and then if it’s the weekend, walk to the corner and get a 2500 pesos grilled corn on the cob, also known as my version of heaven.
I love corn, not like yeah I like it, I eat often. But in a ” I love corn so much I could eat it everyday for every meal, Corn is my god” kind of way. A bit freakish actually, but well I’m Colombian, deal with it 😉
- 2 corns on the cob (sousvide style)
- 2 tbs mayonaise
- 30gr hard salty cheese (f.ex pecorino), grated
- Chili powder (optional)
- Butter for grilling
- 1. Melt the butter and salt lightly the corn.
- 2. Get your grill as hot as you can.
- 3. Since your corn is already cooked we are going for caramelisation and charring, place you cobs on the grill and brush with butter every 5 minutes until you reach a desired char pattern.
- 4. Let your corn rest a couple of minutes and then cover lightly with mayonnaise (we do this so the cheese sticks).
- 5. Holding your cob by the ends, turn your cob on the grated cheese until you have covered it completely.
- 6. If you are going for an extra kick, sprinkle some chili on the cheese
- You can also use fresh corn and cook it on the grill or steam it and then grill it. However ,since I find it very difficult to get fresh corn, I feel buying sousvide sweet corn works great for me.